What is Pathways?
Based on Jim Kouzes and Barry Posner’s leadership principle: “Leadership development is self-development,” Pathways is a two-semester program designed to enhance interpersonal effectiveness and leadership propensity. Program components align with Kouzes’ and Posner’s,“Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership”. They identified that extraordinary leaders, whether in formal or informal positions, demonstrate the following five practices: Modeling the Way; Inspiring a Shared Vision; Challenging the Process; Enabling Others to Act; and Encouraging the Heart.
Program Requirements & Skill Application
Path 1 (a prerequisite for Path 2)
- Complete course topics including: Interpersonal Communications, Personality Styles, Project Management, Team Fundamentals, Conflict Resolution, Generations in the Workplace, Decision Making and Problem Solving and Business Ethics.
- Collaborate with other Pathways participants on a team project and presentation.
- Network with colleagues from the NC State Community and Partners.
Path 2 (for participants wanting to further enhance their Pathways experience after completing Path 1 or equivalent. Also a great option for those who completed Pathways prior to 2012 or Performance Leadership, as new courses have been added)
- Complete “The Leadership Challenge Workshop” Part 1, 2 & 3 and other course topics that align with these practices including: Giving and Receiving Feedback, Meeting Management, Influencing & Managing Change, Ropes Course & Collaboration, DISC Personality and Leadership styles.
- Participate in the LPI 360-degree feedback assessment to identify key leadership behaviors from the Leadership Challenge model and determine your leadership development goals.
- Partner with a Pathways coach and mentor throughout the program.
What is the cost?
Path 1 (course number: HRPW0A) – Program Cost: $295 per participant
Path 2 (course number: HRPW0B) – Program Cost: $295 per participant
* Please call 919-515-4280 for pricing for Centennial Parters and Campus Affiliates.
The program fee includes a license to access The Compass online learning portal which contains more than 2900 additional courses.
What past participants are saying about the program:
“Pathways has been one of the best learning environments I’ve experienced. The lessons I’ve learned are applied every day with clients, extremely useful curriculum applicable to my job and career growth, fantastic instructors who not only knew their subjects, but knew how it applied within the overall goals of Pathways.”
“More valuable than processes and procedures, though, is the confidence I gained and the empowerment I feel in my ability to affect change in the workplace, in my life, and in the world.”
“It is obvious that the Pathways participants think highly of Stephanie and Kevin, and that they learn a great deal from their involvement. I am serious when I say that Pathways is one of the most important things that NC STATE does, and the 675 graduates are making a real difference on campus or wherever they are.”
“Pathways has provided me with the tools that will have a positive impact on everything I do moving forward.”
“Pathways has taught me life lessons and skills that will only become more defined as I continue to grow.”
“Each day I can feel the power and see the impact that Pathways continues to have in my life. Because of the influence that Pathways has made in my life I have been able to make the changes that I needed to make but previously did not have the strength, the power or the tools I needed to make it happen.”
Who should participate in the program?
Pathways is designed for high-performing individuals, emerging and team leaders, and program/project managers. The program is open to full-time employees of NC State University and Campus Partners and Affiliates who demonstrate leadership potential as outlined in the “Successful Pathways Participant Behaviors” below.
What are the Successful Pathways Participant Behaviors?
To determine the profile of a successful candidate, consider the following questions:
Does the potential Pathways Leadership Development Program participant:
- seek out challenging opportunities?
- talk about future trends that will influence how work gets done?
- develop cooperative relationships among the people s/he works with?
- set a personal example of what s/he expects from others?
- recognize people for a job well done?
- challenge people to try new and innovative approaches to their work?
- describe a compelling image of what the future of your department could be like and inspire others?
- actively listen to diverse points of view and treat others with dignity and respect?
- follow through on the promises and commitments that s/he makes?
How do participants enroll for Pathways?
To request enrollment for Pathways, please access the MyPACK Portal, and menu path: Employee Self-Service > Learning and Development > Request Training Enrollment > then use course number ‘HRPW0A‘ for Path 1 or ‘HRPW0B‘ for Path 2, then click the ‘Available Sessions’ link. Select the orientation session date listed and submit the request.
Once enrollment is confirmed for the program, each participant will be automatically registered for all of the required courses, and a notification containing a list of dates, times and locations for all sessions will be emailed to each participant.
Stephanie Davis, Program Manager & Sr. Consultant
919-515-6371 or email@example.com
Carina Lockley, Program Coordinator
919-515-4280 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NC State Learning and Organizational Development
919-515-7844 or email@example.com